নদীর নাম আত্রেয়ী

|| The Love Knot || Chapter 3: The Confession. A short story by- @gnibha Maity



Chapter 3
The Confession

It was a fine morning. Veeraj got up as usual early in the morning. As usual, there was a message in his WhatsApp wishing him  ‘ Good morning’ and as usual a smile appeared on his face.

Something was different that day. He was feeling joyous. He was thinking of telling her his feelings. But how? This question was bothering him. Should I tell her in person? Or should i call her? Or should I text her? He was in great dilemma. He somehow managed to reply her message.

“Good morning,”

“Hw r u ? Woke up late?”

“Yeah, just woke up. Still in the bed. What about you?”

“I got up at 6.00 and now I'm having my breakfast.” She clicked the picture of those Mayonnaise Sandwich she was having and send it to him.

“Looks delicious. What is it?”

“Never mind,” she replied with laughing emoticons.

“Ok. Bye for now. Otherwise I'll be late for my classes” she replied and had become offline

“Bye,”

                                   *****
The Class was going on and Nandita realized that she was not paying attention. She was thinking about Veeraj. She ignored the thought and decided to concentrate. But instead she thought about where is he. 
What would he be doing right now?”

“What rubbish!!” She said to herself. Why on Earth she is thinking about him. And then her phone beeped twice. He checked her WhatsApp. It was his message saying he will call her at 7.00.

Somehow she escaped the class. She came out. She's online. But there was no sign of him. She didn't know what was happening to her. Okay, I'll not think about him, she decided and went home.

She called him.

“Hello,” he said whimpering.

“Are u running out of breath??”

“Yeah,  playing cricket,”

“Ok, then u play, I'll call u later,”

“No,no. I'm free now. We can talk,”

“But What do ur frnds think?”

He was walking back towards his home. 
She was on the phone.

“You would hv said bye to ur frnds at least,”she said smiling.

“Ohh they! They are not important. You are,” he tried to flirt.

“ Shut up,” she felt shy.

He remained quite.

“So whts up??” she asked and tried the conversation to go on.

“Nothing. Tell me. How's your class??”

“It was horrible. Dont even ask. I only survived it somehow,” they chuckled.

Veeraj was Being shy. He was not talking much. He was feeling her presence, listening to her, capturing her, living the moment.

Nandita, on the other end was trying to think of something, a topic to talk about. She wanted to talk some more and so did he.

“I have something to tell you,” he broke the silence.

“Tell me. What is it? Is it important?”

(Ohh! Its so important. Its the question of my life, Veeraj said in his head)

“No. Nothing important. Just like that,”

“Hey! Umm… let me finish this assignment first. I hv to submit it in the next class. I'll call you as soon as I'm free,” she said smiling.

“Sure,” he replied.

Veeraj was now feeling low. He didn't know why, he decided not to tell her anything. He took his phone out, put the earphone in his ears and started listening a song..

*Dil ko tumse pyaar hua
Pehli bar hua.. tumse pyaar hua
Main bhi aashiq yaar hua
Pehli bar hua.. tumse pyaar hua
Chhaayi hai betaabi
Meri jaan.. kahoo main kya karoo*

                              *****
Nandita was unable to write a single word. She was only thinking about him. She was a little afraid too, thinking what could be the matter. After sometimes, forget the assignment, let me ask him what he wants to talk about, she thought. She called him.

“Hiiii…. Dont you have to submit your assignment?”

“Uhh!! Forget about it. What are you doing?”

“Nothing much. Listening to an old song,”

“What is it?”

“Dil ko tumse pyaar hua,”

“Uhh! u hear such old songs? U hv good taste at songs I hv to agree.

He chuckled.

“Where are you lost, Devdas?” She said. She knew something was bothering him. She tried to comfort him.

“Nothing. I'm just thinking that now you'll blame me, if u fail to score in your GATE exam,” he said with a fake smile. He tried to be funny.

“Shut up,” she said rolling her eyes.

(He feel her hand, holding his hand. It is pleasantly cold and so soft like an infant. He is walking with her hand in his and looking at her. He lost in her mesmerizing eyes)

“Oye! Where are you lost? Are u even listening to me?” she asked.

“Yeah! Yeah! I'm here only. He said coming out of his dream.

“So, what are you telling me earlier?” she asked.

“Oh that…!! It was nothing,”

“Come on! Tell me,” she insisted.

He rubbed his hand together, took a deep breath and mumbled, “I think #/!#%%¥€¢£%%©%π#$,”

“Whaaatttt!!” She asked confusingly. She didn't hear properly.

“I think (he took a pause), I'm falling in love with you,” said softly.

Comments